The SASSA R350 grant, also known as the COVID-19 Social Relief of Distress (SRD) grant, is a temporary monthly payment introduced by the South African government to provide financial relief to unemployed South Africans during the COVID-19 pandemic. If you have applied and been approved for this grant, you may be wondering when exactly you will receive your monthly payment. Here is a comprehensive guide on how to check your SASSA R350 payday.
What is the SASSA R350 Grant?
The SASSA R350 grant is a social relief program implemented by the South African Social Security Agency (SASSA) under the Department of Social Development. It provides R350 monthly to unemployed South Africans who meet the eligibility criteria. The grant was introduced in May 2020 at the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic to help mitigate the economic impact of job losses and income insecurity.
To qualify for the R350 grant, applicants must:
- Be a South African citizen, permanent resident or refugee registered on the Home Affairs system
- Be unemployed and not receiving any other social grant
- Not be receiving unemployment insurance (UIF)
- Pass a means test – single applicants cannot have monthly income exceeding R350, and married applicants cannot have combined monthly income exceeding R700
- Be above the age of 18 and below the age of 60
- Not be maintained or cared for in a state institution
- Not be receiving a stipend from the National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS)
- Not have personal assets exceeding R100,000
The grant is available for reapplication every month as long as the criteria are met.
Why Check Your SASSA R350 Payday?
Once your R350 grant application has been approved, the next important step is to find out exactly when you will receive your monthly payment. There are several reasons why you should check your payday:
- Avoid delays: Knowing your payday in advance allows you to plan and avoid unnecessary delays in receiving your funds. This is important if you rely on the grant for your monthly expenses.
- Ensure correct account details: Checking your payday also helps verify that SASSA has the correct banking details to pay your grant into the right account.
- Budget properly: With your payday, you can properly budget when you will receive the R350 and plan your monthly finances accordingly.
- Avoid missing payment: Sometimes technical issues may cause a delay or problem with payment. If you know your payday, you can follow up immediately if you don’t receive your grant.
- CRS Fraud: There can be some payment cases where you don’t receive your grant on the pay date due to varied reasons including potential fraud. Knowing your pay date will help you be alert on the expected date and follow up immediately if you don’t get paid.
- Track application status: Checking your payday is also a way of tracking the status of your application and knowing whether it has been approved.
In summary, paydays allow grant beneficiaries to get clarity on the disbursement schedule and avoid unnecessary struggles or delays in accessing their approved funds.
How to Check Your SASSA R350 Payday
SASSA has made it easy for R350 grant beneficiaries to check their payday details online or via phone. Here are the main ways to check your payday:
1. Check online via SASSA SRD Website
The main way to check your R350 payday is directly via the SASSA SRD online portal.
- Go to the SASSA SRD Website: https://srd.sassa.gov.za/sc19/status
- Enter your ID number and the phone number you used to apply for the grant
- Click on “Submit”
- Select the month you want to check the payday for, for example January 2023
- The status will show “Approved” if you have been approved, or “Pending” if your application is still being processed
- If approved, click on the month to unfold and view the payday
The payday shown is the exact date that your R350 grant will be paid into your bank account or SASSA card. If your status is still pending, you will not see a payday until you have been approved.
2. Check via the SASSA Moya App
The Moya app by SASSA allows you to check your R350 grant application and payday easily on your mobile phone.
- Download and open the Moya app
- Go to the SRD icon under “Discovery”
- Select “Check Application Status”
- Enter your ID number and phone number
- Choose the month to view the payday
This will display your status and payday without having to visit the website.
3. Check via WhatsApp
SASSA has an automated WhatsApp support service that can provide your R350 payday details instantly.
- Save the SASSA WhatsApp number – 082 046 8553
- Type the word “Hello” and send to the number
- Follow the prompts and select the “SRD Grants” option
- Enter your ID number when prompted
- You will now receive an SMS with your status and payday details
This provides an easy way to get your status via WhatsApp chat.
4. Call the SASSA Contact Centre
You can also check your R350 payday by calling the SASSA contact centre directly and speaking to an agent.
- Call 0800 60 10 11
- Select your language of choice
- Request to check your SRD grant payday
- Provide your ID number, name and phone number used to apply
- The agent will look up your details and provide your status, approved amount and payday
This may take longer than the automated options but gives you the ability to query anything with the agent.
5. Check via Your Bank Account
If you have already received previous R350 payments, you can also check your payday by looking at when the money entered your bank account.
- Login to your internet banking profile or app
- Navigate to your account statement history
- Identify previous R350 payments labelled “SASSA SRD”
- Note the payment dates which should correspond to your payday schedule
While not definitive, this can provide an indication of when to expect your next payment based on past paydays.
Understanding Your SASSA R350 Payday Status
When you check your R350 payday online or via phone, your status will show one of the following:
- Pending: Your application is still being processed if you see a Pending status. This means you have not yet been approved and will not receive a grant payday until approved.
- Approved: An Approved status means your grant has been accepted and you will now see a confirmed Payday.
- Declined: A Declined status means your application was rejected and you will not receive the grant. Reasons are shown e.g. exceeding income threshold.
- Appeal Requested: This means your application was declined but you have submitted an Appeal request which is under review. Payday only after successful appeal.
Under your status, you will also see key dates:
- Filed Date: This shows when SASSA officially issued the payment instruction for your approved grant.
- Payday: The exact date your R350 payment will be paid into your account.
If your status shows Approved but no Payday, it means your approval is still pending final processing before the payment date is assigned. Keep checking back until the payday appears.
How Often is the R350 Grant Paid?
The R350 grant is paid on a monthly basis. This means if your application is approved, you will be eligible for the R350 payment every month. The payday is normally scheduled to be the same date every month.
However, the grant must be reapplied for every month. Even if you have been receiving the R350 for several months, your grant lapses at the end of each month. You must then reapply and be re-approved for the new month.
The monthly application process and checks are designed to ensure only eligible applicants keep receiving the grant. It avoids people who have found employment continuing to receive the relief fund.
As long as you continue meeting the criteria, remain unemployed and reapply each month, your R350 grant will be renewed and paid on a monthly basis.
How Long for R350 Grant Payday after Approval?
Once your R350 application is approved, when can you expect the first payday and payment? The timeframes vary depending on factors such as:
- Time of month applied: Applications processed early in the month get paydays and payment faster. Late month applications often only pay in the next calendar month.
- Payment method: Bank account payments are faster than SASSA card issuance and activation.
- Verification processes: Additional verification steps may be required which can delay assignment of the first payday.
- Technical factors: Occasional technical glitches may affect processing times.
On average, you can expect your first payday and payment within:
- 7 days for applications submitted in the first week of the month.
- 15 days for applications submitted mid-month.
- 21-30 days for applications submitted late in the month.
However, this is just a guideline and your application may take longer depending on the above factors. Continue checking your status until your first payday appears. If it has been very long, follow up with SASSA for assistance.
Where Can I Check Paydays Without Airtime?
If you do not have airtime on your phone, you can still check your R350 payday without any cost using the following options:
- SASSA SRD Website: Visit the SASSA status check portal which does not require any airtime.
- Free WiFi: Connect to any local free public WiFi hotspot and use that to access the SASSA website or Moya App. Many shops and public areas now offer free WiFi.
- Mobile Data: Rather than airtime, use any available mobile data bundles to browse online and access the site or app. Even a small bundle can be enough to check quickly.
- Library Facilities: Visit your local library where you can use their computer facilities to access the internet and check your status online.
- Friend’s Phone: Ask a friend or relative if you can quickly use their phone data or WiFi to check your details.
- SASSA Office Visit: As a last resort, visit your nearest SASSA office where officials can check the status for you manually.
So make use of technology options that avoid airtime charges. Alternatively, find a location with free internet access or get assistance from friends, family or SASSA representatives.
Troubleshooting: Status Approved But No Payday
Sometimes your R350 status may show as Approved but with no visible Payday.
There are a few reasons this can occur:
- Pending Bank Account Verification
- SASSA needs to validate your bank details before paying out. This additional check may delay the payday. Ensure SASSA has your correct active account and follow up after 5 working days if still no payday.
- Switched to SASSA Card
- If SASSA could not verify your bank account, you may have been switched to a SASSA card for payments. Check if a card has been ordered for you.
- Technical Glitch
- Occasional system errors may affect granting of the payday. Try again after a few hours or the next day to see if it reflects.
How to Update Your Bank Details
If you need to update your bank account details with SASSA for your R350 payments, you can easily do this online:
- Login to your SASSA SRD portal
- Under “Banking Details” select “Change”
- Enter your new, correct bank account number and branch code
- Attach a bank statement or stamped letter as proof
- Click “Submit Details” to apply the change
SASSA will verify your new details which may delay that month’s payday. But subsequent payments will go into your new account. Always keep your banking details up to date to avoid payment issues.
Who Can I Contact for Assistance?
If you have any issues checking your payday, understanding your status or updating your details, contact SASSA for help:
- SASSA Call Centre: Call 0800 60 10 11 during working hours for assistance over the phone
- SASSA WhatsApp: Message 082 046 8553 and select relevant options
- SASSA Website: Access the online support section and submit queries
- SASSA Email: Email [email protected] with your detailed issue
- Local Office: Visit your closest SASSA regional office for in-person assistance
SASSA is committed to helping grant beneficiaries and will assist you to resolve any issues you may have with your R350 grant paydays.
Knowing exactly when you will receive your monthly SASSA R350 grant is important for all beneficiaries relying on the relief fund. Make use of the various online, mobile and telephonic channels provided by SASSA to check your status and payday details with ease. Ensure you provide all correct information and documentation when applying to avoid delays. If already receiving the grant, keep checking your monthly paydays so that you can plan your finances. Follow up promptly with SASSA if there are any hiccups or issues with your payments. With this comprehensive guide, you can stay updated on your R350 paydays.